This ski resort case study is a decade in the making and could be many pages long (I’m working on a blog post about ski resort digital marketing). While it’s focused on SEO, there’s a lot of Content Strategy that made the SEO rock – and dominate a large set of terms.
I have worked with the Mont Blanc ski resort for over a decade, doing thier SEO (keeping it on top of search for hundreds of terms) and contributing in other areas (Adwords, landing pages, social media, content creation, etc.).
The Mont Blanc ski resort is a family-owned business, and yet competes well in online rank against much larger competitors (we go head-to-head with the internationally famous Mont Tremblant ski resort, just 20 minutes up the road).
SEO and Content Strategy Work Together
Part of the success of this site is an always-growing content marketing strategy. At different times we added sections and pages to the site to reflect consumers information (and searcher) needs. We also have structured blog and social media content with a mind to SEO strength.
I work closely with the agency of record to also contribute these sorts of ideas and strategies to social media, site expansion, and to targeting and promotion in general. I have also contributed to many different projects including real estate marketing and promotion – all keeping the focus on the ski resort, the region, and the searchers wants. It’s a successful formula that over time builds incredible power into a site.
Ski Resort Case Study Results:
Despite the modest size of the ski resort, the resort competes well against much larger Quebec ski resorts.
- During the winter the site peaks at over 2,000 targeted visitors a day – great numbers for a ski resort of this site.
- Between 2008 and 2012 I more than doubled site SEO traffic.
- Monitoring and optimizing the site for over 150 SEO terms (in French and English) keeps the site on top for a large number of terms draws more traffic.
- One year I developed and written new segments of the site, using added content to increase search traffic by 30% (year on year).
- I successfully launched their blog, providing articles and direction to the internal team as well as advice and direction on their Facebook and YouTube marketing.
- I directed the migration to more computerized reservation and online marketing practices.
- I directed the change to several new versions of the site ensuring no loss of traffic or rank.
- I helped structure the site to draw distinct traffic to a ‘summer’ section which draws up to 600 visitors a day to off-season hotel and condominium services.
Ski Resort SEO Marketing Strategy
Ski resorts appeal to multiple markets, and these may be very distinct. For example, in Mont Blanc’s case, day skiers are a very different than hotel and condominium guests in multiple ways including age, location, search profile, and even language. SEO teams need to take this into account and ensure there is a strong strategy in place for each, targeting appropriate pages at the matching audience. Snow boarders are also an important market for ski resorts and search differently as well. Ski groups and corporate groups also need to be targeted specifically.
The Increasing Importance of Social Media to SEO
Skiing is fun and is attractive to active and affluent families. It also appeals to young people as well as adults. These factors make it a natural match for social media. People love to Facebook or Tweet pictures of themselves, or short movies of their times skiing. Harnessing this social activity is crucial to Mont Blanc’s online success going forward, and to their SEO rank success as well as Google pays increasing attention to social cues to website importance. As with other content marketing, social media can be strategically planned to create SEO dominance. Social media optimization is a powerful force – if you harness it!
Like the ski resort case study? See other case studies for related projects such as the Nova Scotia tourism SEO case study, or Super 8 Hotels SEO case study.